Certified Veterinary Technician (CVT)
All you need to know about getting certified as a CVT by the FVMA.
The technician sector in the veterinary medical profession in Florida is growing, and the FVMA’s credentialing program for CVTs plays a crucial role in this sector’s development. The FVMA is the largest and oldest credentialing body for veterinary technicians in the state of Florida, and represents over 5,000 members and nearly 80% of the veterinary practices in Florida, who employ talent professionals like you. Certification through the FVMA also grants you affiliate membership through the Florida Association of Credentialed Veterinary Technicians (FACVT).
At the direction of a veterinarian, CVTs:
- instruct clients
- perform laboratory testing
- take radiographs
- provide skilled nursing care to animal patients
- administer medications
- assist in anesthesia and surgery
CVTs carry out their tasks with varying levels of supervision by a veterinarian, as specified by the Veterinary Practice Act.
To be certified as a veterinary technician by the FVMA an individual must:
- graduate from an AVMA-accredited veterinary technician program
- obtain a passing grade in the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE), which is administered by the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB)
Obtaining Your Certification
Obtaining your credentials is an important step you will take in your career as a veterinary professional. More and more veterinary practices in the state of Florida require new hires to be certified. Apply to the FVMA to be a CVT once you have completed the necessary requirements.
Benefits of FVMA Certification
To recognize your outstanding achievements and to assist you in excelling in your career, certification through the FVMA also grants you membership in its affiliated entity, the Florida Association of Credentialed Veterinary Technicians (FACVT). Through the FACVT and under the umbrella of the FVMA you will be provided with the following exclusive benefits:
- Career networking opportunities with thousands of veterinary colleagues
- A dedicated staff of 13 FVMA professionals committed to your success (Available M-F, 8 a.m.-6 p.m.)
- Discounts on world-class CE and conference registration
- Updates on the latest news and issues impacting veterinary medicine
- Legislative and regulatory advocacy
- Membership card, certificate, pin, and much more!
For more information regarding affiliate member benefits, please visit fvma.org/team-members.
How to Be Certified
Become certified by completing and submitting an "Application for FVMA Certification" form along with an initial certification and membership fee of $55.00 (subject to change). Submit online to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to the FVMA headquarters at 7207 Monetary Drive, Orlando, FL 32809.
How to Recertify
Recertify by submitting a "Record of Continuing Education Credits" form documenting at least 15 hours of approved continuing education obtained in the previous two years and a renewal fee of $55.00 (subject to change). Copies of certificates of completion should accompany your CE log form. Approved CE may be taken online (maximum 7 hours) with an additional three (3) hours if live or real-time webinar. CVTs in a BAS/VT program may count college course hours for CE with a maximum of three (3) hours in management courses.
CVT certification is renewable every two years, and the next renewal cycle begins January 1, 2018. Renewal notices for the January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2019 renewal cycle will be mailed in November & December, 2017.
Approved Veterinary Technician CE Providers
• Florida Board of Veterinary Medicine
• RACE approved programs
• Central Florida Academy of Veterinary Medicine
• University of Florida
• Regional CE veterinary meetings & conferences
AVMA Accredited Veterinary Technology Programs in Florida
• City College, Hollywood, FL
• Eastern Florida State College, Cocoa, FL
• Florida A&M University, Quincy, FL
• Hillsborough Community College, Plant City, FL
• Miami-Dade College, Miami, FL
• Pensacola State College, Pensacola, FL
• St. Petersburg College, Largo, FL.